Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rubes Cartoons - Tales from a Twisted Mind





















Having the last laugh

The other day I received a rather uncomplimentary email. (Actually, it was downright rude.)

The writer of this email had absolutely nothing nice to say about my cartoons. He said that my cartoons reflect how most newspaper readers these days have a third grade education. He also mentioned that there was nothing funny about personifying animals. He went on and on (and on) attempting to make a point of how I used too many words in a particular cartoon and that demonstrated my lack of talent at getting quickly to the punch line. (I thought it was ironic that he took so long to get to the point.)

He also mentioned that he didn’t think it was funny that I drew faces on vegetables. He really had a lot to say and none of it was nice. (Did I mention he said several times how he thought my cartoon wasn’t funny?)

Well, it just so happened that evening I had a speaking engagement. The group of people I spoke to were for the most part, retired. This was not a room of uneducated people by any means. They very much enjoyed the “show” and I even received (this is really cool as my wife was there to witness it!) a standing ovation. (Thank you! Thank you very much...I’ll be here all week!)

At the conclusion of my presentation one of the audience members asked if I ever received email from people that don’t like my work. As it so happened I had my Blackberry handy which still had the “love letter” from my non-fan. I only had to read the first few lines before the audience started laughing. I admit it was very satisfying to see almost ninety people laugh at the negative email I received; apparently they did not share his viewpoint. However, I must thank my new “friend” for his contribution to my presentation. In fact, it went over so well I might just make it a regular part of my act.

http://www.agweb.com/article/short_and_long-term_effects_of_japans_disaster/

http://www.depsyl.com/

http://back2basicnutrition.com/

http://bionutritionalresearch.olhblogspace.com/

No comments: