Pages

Friday, March 4, 2011

A Homeopathic Diabetes Journey

Diabetes: A Homeopathic Journey

Ten years ago, an astute physician diagnosed me with Type 2 diabetes. I exhibited none of the classic symptoms of rapid weight loss, extreme thirst, and frequent urination. I attributed fatigue to my job. For about a year before diagnosis, I experienced what I thought were yeast infections and treated them with over-the-counter medications. I later learned that this condition is a symptom of diabetes. I am non-insulin dependent.

According to the American Diabetes Association statistics in the 2007 National Diabetes Fact Sheet (most recent available), there are 23.6 million persons diagnosed with diabetes in the U.S.; 57 million with pre-diabetes; and another 5.7 million undiagnosed. The study was done three years ago. The numbers are increasing at an alarming rate.

Uncontrolled diabetes can have devastating effects such as blindness, heart and kidney disease, nerve damage, kidney failure, and leg amputation. I am motivated to keep myself well.
When I was growing up, my parents had a general store. Candy, chips, soft drinks, ice cream, and bologna were readily available. My family ate meat-and-potatoes. The only exercise we got was working long hours. Recently, I learned from Bruce Lipton's Biology of Belief (a scientific read) that "your DNA is not your destiny." That theme helped me to realize that I am not inherently doomed by my family's disease(s).

Over the years, I ate what I knew. Working full time, keeping a household, raising two children, and moving frequently with the military left little time for researching and planning meals.
An epiphany came fifteen years ago when I met the lady who is my best friend. She was a vegetarian (now a vegan). She educated herself in nutrition when problems developed with her then seven-year-old son. Jethro Kloss's Back to Eden became her Bible.I was experiencing cramping in my stomach and not sleeping well when we met. She suggested it might be due to my diet; it was filled with red meat. After I began sticking to the "no red meat," the cramping stopped, and I began to sleep well. I tried lamb once because it was "lighter." It rewarded me with the former symptoms. I have not eaten red meat for fourteen years.

Continued Tomorrow

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2011/03/03/7072/diabetes--a-homeopathic-journey/

http://www.depsyl.com/

http://back2basicnutrition.com/

http://bionutritionalresearch.olhblogspace.com/

No comments: